Sunday, August 28, 2022

Otterly in Love by Lorelei M. Hart and Aria Grace



Title: Otterly in Love

Author: Lorelei M. Hart and Aria Grace

Series: #3 in The River's Edge Shifters series

Genre: M/M Paranormal Romance

Publisher: Surrendered Press (November 21, 2020)

Source: Kindle Unlimited

Rating: ☕☕☕


Synopsis: An M/M MPreg Shifter Romance

Sometimes the past holds your future...

Omega otter shifter Doc loved his adopted son and wanted to protect him from his past. But when the boy's past flings itself at him in the form of a series of letters, Doce is faced with the heart wrenching decision of either ripping open old wounds or keeping unforgivable secrets from the child.

Rabbit shifter Levi hates his life as Alpha of his Colony. Put there by birthright and held there by his past, he has no choice: If he leaves, they will kill his one true mate. Rabbits were brutal like that.

When the colony is all abuzz with word of a stranger in town, Levi doesn't expect an otter and he certainly doesn't expect the man to be the bearer of both the worst and the best news of his life: His mate was gone and he had a son. And he most definitely doesn't expect to have his rabbit announcing the man as his mate. 

Otterly In Love is a sweet with knotty heat M/M shifter mpreg romance featuring an otter shifter looking out for his son, a rabbit shifter who fears he isn't strong enough to fix the wrongs of his path, an evil sheriff who won't stay gone, a boy who in some ways has more to teach him, true fated love, and an adorable little baby. This is the third book in the River's Edge Shifters series brought to you by the co-writing team of Lorelei M. Hart and Aria Grace and can be read as a stand-alone.

(Synopsis courtesy of GoodReads)


My Thoughts: I was really looking forward to getting to know Doc more and although this was his story it left me wanting more.


The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else: So, about the synopsis.... for the most part it is exactly what this book is about, but that last paragraph isn't quite accurate. The evil sheriff is taken care of in book 2 and although it's been 4 days since I finished this book, I'm pretty sure I am remembering this book correctly. Also, the "adorable little baby"...not sure which baby this is in reference to. I believe August and Jase's baby is in the book and she is adorable, but she isn't in a lot of the scenes as at least half the book takes place at the rabbit Colony and not in River's Edge. There is another baby, but I believe doesn't make an appearance until the very end. One more complaint about the last paragraph of the synopsis and then I'll move on....it says it is the 3rd book in the series but can be read as a stand-alone. I'm terrible about reading things in order and my GR friends could attest to this. I often pick something up based on what I get approved at NetGalley. I'll pick something up based on what my library has available at the time. I'll even pick something up based on the shiny cover. However, I really think in order for Doc's story (and Xander's as well) to be fully appreciated the first book in the series should be read before this one, at the very least. Book 2 is almost an independent book within the series as the characters in that story don't make an appearance in book 3 but more about that later.

While I did enjoy this book, I was sad that Leo and Ron (from Feline the Love) weren't in this book. I really liked those characters. Also, I know Doc was older, but I don't recall how much older (I'm actually thinkin it never said) and for some reason this bugged me. I like an age gap romance but like to know what ages I'm working with LOL. 

With the background story of Xander being heartbreaking and intense from the first book I was disappointed that part of that story was concluded off page, happening sometime after book 1 ended and book 3 started (but not mentioned in book 2 at all.) I know that is quite vague, but I don't want to include any spoilers for anyone who may want to read the series.

As far as Levi and Doc go, I really wanted more from their story. On one hand it was a really good story, but I think the page count limited the development of a believable love story. As with most fated mate tropes the "I Love You's" happened quickly and in shifter romances sex usually means love. Too bad I'm not a shifter and can't appreciate this type of relationship. Hello insta-love. <insert should shrug here>. 


In a Nutshell: I am definitely moving on to book 4 although I'm not sure who will find their true love as there weren't any new shifters introduced except 3 bunny adults (new adult age so not viable for relationship status in my mind), a handful of rabbit Colony asshats (only good for evil mastermind status), and Mama (a widowed lion shifter who played a major role in helping Levi leave the Colony....loved her by the way.) I guess I'll have to wait until I can pick up book #4, Canine Love You after I finish up my current reads.





No comments: