Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Troublemaker by Linda Howard



Title: Troublemaker

Author: Linda Howard

Narrator: Tanya Eby

Series: #1 in the Go-Team

Genre: Romantic Suspense

Publisher: William Marrow (May 10, 2016)

Source: Audiobook borrowed from the library, Own the kindle copy

Rating: ☕☕☕☕


Synopsis: For Morgan Yancy, an operative and team leader in a paramilitary group, nothing comes before his job. But when he's ambushed and almost killed, his supervisor is determined to find out who's after the members of his elite squad--and why. Due to worries that this unknown enemy will strike again, Morgan is sent to a remote location and told to lay low and stay vigilant. But between a tempting housemate he's determined to protect and a deadly threat waiting in the shadows, keeping under the radar is proving to be his most dangerous mission yet.

The part-time police chief of a small West Virginian Mountain town, Isabeau "Bo" Maran finally has her life figured out. She's got friends, a dog, and a little money in the bank. Then Morgan Yancy shows up on her doorstep. Bo doesn't need a mysterious man in her life--especially a troublemaker as enticing and secretive as Morgan.

The harder they fight the intense heat between them, the closer Morgan and Bo become, even though she knows he's hiding from something. But discovering the truth could cost Bo more than she's willing to give. And when Morgan's cover is blown, it might just cost her life.


My Thoughts: An explosive beginning that grabbed me from the start coupled with a hero worthy of the title Book Boyfriend.


The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else: So, I loved Morgan Yancy. There I said it. No takesies backsies. Howard created an amazing ex-military special ops hero that could rival Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters men. I only wish we would have got more about his job. Maybe showing him on a mission rather than starting the book state side after finishing up a mission. Even with him on death's door and recuperating couldn't detract from his appeal. As a matter of fact, his recouperation and subsequent rebuilding his strength and stamina made him more appealing. He hated being so unhealthy and unable to even get to the toilet without assistance, but it made him more "real". In so many books we see chest beaters and the "I'll fix everything for you" alpha men so seeing a strong virile man vulnerable and at his weakest was refreshing. However, Bo was mostly unlikable. Her saving grace was her relationship with her dog, Tricks, and Tricks herself was amazing. I love dogs and am so happy Tricks had such a big part in this book. 

Somewhere along the middle the suspense aspect fizzled while Morgan's recouperation and rehabilitation took center stage. The synopsis really highlighted their "intense heat" but honestly it seemed it felt more all of a sudden with Bo "innocently" licking the frosting off her cupcake and Morgan's mind went straight to the gutter. Oh, Bo was certainly not intending to be provocative, but TBH a woman just knows what the licking of anything (be it frosting, ice-cream, popsicles etc.) in front of a man (regardless of if there is attraction or not) looks like to a man. Since she was not characterized as being naive this particular scene stuck out as not being very authentic.

I did like the additional storyline of a young married couple whose marriage imploded in a public way and the asshat husband of the couple (the offspring of the richest man in the area who always had daddy bail him out of everything) took things too far and the day was saved by Morgan (who recovered sufficiently by that time.) I thought the end of the book brought back the suspense of the beginning but perhaps not fully realized as I ended up not fully invested in the suspense part of the story. I really think it took a backseat to the characters and their budding relationship.

The audio version was narrated by Tanya Eby. I really enjoy her narrations and this one was good as well. Her voice for the men was well done and her voice for the women didn't squeak out while I listened to the audio at 2x's the speed.

Full disclosure, I actually read the second book back in 2020 not realizing it was book 2 of the "series". When I finished this book, I immediately went to look for book 2 and while reading the synopsis of book 2 (The Woman Left Behind) I felt it sounded really familiar and after some digging through my library past borrows, I found I did indeed read it 2 years ago. I failed to notate it in GoodReads (which I've remedied now) and I also failed to review it. It's way too late to go back and do that now but as a side note I remember the suspense was intense almost all the way through and the heroine was a badass (or became one at the end.)


In a Nutshell: A good book by Linda Howard with an amazing hero, a wonderful dog, and a lukewarm heroine. I, of course, will continue to read everything she writes and has written.





No comments: