Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Cookies and Clairvoyance by Bailey Cates



Title: Cookies and Clairvoyance

Author: Bailey Cates

Narrator: Amy Rubinate

Series: #8 in The Magical Bakery series

Genre: Cozy Mystery

Publisher: Berkley (August 27, 2019)

Source: Library Find

Rating: ☕☕☕☕


Synopsis: Baker Katie Lightfoot serves up enchanted delicacies and tracks down a malicious murderer in the newest installment of this New York Times bestselling series...


Hedgewitch Katie Lightfoot is juggling wedding preparations, a visit from her father, and home renovations on top of her long hours at the Honeybee Bakery, where she and her aunt Lucy imbue their yummy cookies and pastries with beneficial magic. But when firefighter Randy Post is accused of murdering a collector of rarities, and his prints are on the statue that was used to kill the man, Katie steps in. 

Randy is not only Katie's fiancĂ©'s coworker, but also the boyfriend of fellow spellbook club member and witch Bianca Devereaux. Bianca and Declan are both sure Randy is innocent, and so is Katie. However, to prove it she'll have to work with ornery detective Peter Quinn again—and this time around he knows she's more than your everyday baker.


My Thoughts: Another great installment of this series!


The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else: Honestly, I didn't care for Katie's attitude this time around. I know her circumstances with her trying to finish the carriage house and planning her wedding and running a business and helping clear a friend's name kind of justifies her being grumpy. However, she was unnecessarily snarky to Declan who was super understanding and kind to her when a spell backfired changing her magical life. With that said, in the past I was on the fence about Declan because I didn't think he fully supported Katie and her magic. In this book I was completely in his corner because he proved he accepted her with everything in her life. 


The mystery was pretty good with multiple suspects, and I liked that Katie did her best to solve the mystery without the aid of her magic. The ending was satisfying but we'll have to wait another book for a wedding to happen. Also, poor Conal! 

I listened to this book as I've listened to all of the previous books and once again Amy Rubinate did a great job narrating. I'm so used to her as Katie I don't know if I could get used to another voice by this point. Her voice work for the other characters are just as good especially Conal's. 


In a Nutshell: I love this series and I can't wait for to get to the next book!





No comments: