Saturday, July 25, 2009

Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips



This book is part of the Chicago Stars series made popular by Susan Elizabeth Phillips and to date the only one I have read of this series. The book is about an extremely good looking football player who finds a down on her luck woman wearing a beaver costume on the side of the road and offers her a lift. From there a relationship blooms but don't call it a relationship because neither character are the settle down with a house, white picket fence, dog and 2.5 children type.


I really wanted to love this book. I just couldn't. I didn't fall in love with either Dean or Blue Bailey (the beaver costume wearing woman). I liked them but couldn't love them. I did like that both Dean and Blue had massive baggage concerning family and Phillips did a great job weaving the ins and outs and whys of it all.


The characters (including the secondary characters) were completely flawed and I liked them all. Together they made themselves into a dysfunctional family that was fun to read about but the family interaction was not necessarily what I was supposed to enjoy the most about this book. I suppose I was to be more interested in the romance of Blue and Dean but it really took a back burner to in your face characters like Nita (a beyond cranky woman who bullied herself into Blue's life).


So what started out as a funny opening sequence of events didn't quite pan out to be a humorous emotion producing rollercoaster that one would expect from a great book. Overall, this was an OK book. Nothing spectacular but not bad either. I would recommend that you borrow this one from the library or get it from a used book store.

No comments: