Thursday, June 21, 2018

The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen


Title: The Sinner
Author: Tess Gerritsen
Series: #3 in the Rizzoli/Isles series
Genre: Mystery Thriller
Publisher: Ballantine Books (August 19, 2003)
Source: Library Find
Rating: ☕☕☕☕

Synopsis: Not even the icy temperatures of a typical New England winter can match the bone-chilling scene of carnage discovered at the chapel of Our Lady of Divine Light. Within the cloistered convent lie two nuns–one dead, one critically injured–victims of an unspeakably savage attacker. The brutal crime appears to be without motive, but medical examiner Maura Isles’s autopsy of the dead woman yields a shocking surprise: Twenty-year-old Sister Camille gave birth before she was murdered. Then another body is found, mutilated beyond recognition. Together, Isles and homicide detective Jane Rizzoli uncover an ancient horror that connects these terrible slaughters. As long-buried secrets come to light, Maura Isles finds herself drawn inexorably toward the heart of an investigation that strikes close to home–and toward a dawning revelation about the killer’s identity too shattering to consider.

My Thoughts: The third book in the Rizzoli/Isles does not disappoint.

The Good: This particular book showcases Maura Isles this time around. I liked the change in protagonists even though I have really warmed up to Rizzoli. She is, of course, still a main character within the book and pregnant to boot. Anyway, I really think varying the view works well for this series. Seeing things from Maura's view (this is still 3rd person perspective just an FYI) was a little different than Jane's. There are more opportunities for medical aspects within the book whereas with Jane's "stories" it was more about the police work. Even with the heavier medical things we still get a nice dose of police procedures as well.

Maura's background is explored a little within this book which was a positive because she's such an enigma. I love strong and intelligent women and Maura certainly fits the bill. Despite how put together she is Maura also struggles with her faith as many people do which makes her easier to connect to in my opinion.

The Bad: I struggle with books that have religious undertones and this one had them in plenty. Gerritsen didn't beat us over the head with her religious views so that was good. I just didn't like Maura's struggle with her attraction to the priest she meets at the Chapel. I know it happens but for me this is kind of a hot button subject. Nothing actually happened

In a Nutshell: I really enjoyed my re-read of this book and I'm really looking forward to my re-read of the next book as well. I cannot recommend this series enough. If you love thrillers/mysteries and haven't started this series pick it up. You won't be sorry.

No comments: