Sunday, June 24, 2018

Early Review: Cooper's Charm by Lori Foster


Title: Cooper's Charm
Author: Lori Foster
Series: Stand-Alone
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Publisher: HQN Books; Original edition (August 1, 2018)
Source: NetGalley
Rating: ☕☕☕


Synopsis: One summer, two sisters and a chance to start over…

Before the burglary that shattered her confidence, Phoenix Rose had a fiancĂ©, a successful store and a busy, happy existence. After months spent adrift, she takes a job at the lakeside resort of Cooper’s Charm. Surrounded by beautiful scenery, friendly colleagues and a charismatic, widowed boss, Phoenix is slowly inching her way back into the world.

Visiting Cooper’s Charm to check up on her little sister, Ridley Rose impulsively agrees to fill in as housekeeper. Still reeling from an ego-bruising divorce, she finds satisfaction in a job well done—and in the attention of the resort’s handsome scuba instructor.

For Phoenix and Ridley, Cooper’s Charm is supposed to be merely temporary. But this detour may lead to the place they most need to be, where the future is as satisfying as it is surprising…


My Thoughts: A book with two women wanting to start over but only enough dedication to one of them getting a cohesive HEA.

The Good: So, I fell in love with the cover of this book. I'm a sucker for dogs and I'm happy to say, Sugar, the beagle, totally stole every scene she was in. I loved Cooper's interactions with her and he was totally my hero when he helped rescue her (with Phoenix's help) from a nasty piece of a so called human.

In addition to my love of Sugar I was happy to find this book had a suspenseful element to it as well. Phoenix is broken from a terrible assault several months ago and she's really trying to heal. I love how she came to Cooper's Charm (a camping resort) to do this. Oh speaking of Cooper's Charm...the setting was spot on. It took a small town feel (love me some small town romances) and placed it in a picturesque spot I wished was real. I'd totally go there for a few weeks to relax.

The Bad: Remember that suspenseful element I mentioned earlier? Well, here it is, now, in the bad area of my review. It wasn't fully realized. The conclusion of the mystery behind Phoenix's summer danger seemed a stretch and requires the reader to suspend their disbelief. We readers didn't even know there was danger, really, until well into the middle of the book and between it and two love stories none of them were truly satisfying.

So, Phoenix's sister Ridley, joins the crew at Cooper's Charm as a housekeeper. Never mind she has never done such taxing labor (the book even mentions how no one stays on because it's grueling work). Never mind she is a night owl and seems to be ok with starting work at 7am all the while staying up late to have hot monkey sex with one of the 3 single studs working at the resort. Anyway, we do learn a bit about Ridley, however, there just isn't enough space within this book to give her a storyline I think she deserved.

In a Nutshell: Overall an OK book. It's what I'd call a cute beach read for your summer days but nothing that'll stick with you in the long run.
 

No comments: