Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Unfortunate Miss Fortunes by Jennifer Crusie et al.

Synopsis:
"You're invited to spend the weekend with three extraordinary sisters..."  When she was sixteen, Dee Fortune kidnapped her two younger sisters and ran from danger. Now twenty-nine, she's still trying to control her shape-shifting power--no easy task when Danny James shows up one Friday morning with his deadly smile and dangerous questions about the past.

Lizzie is determined to save her family from financial ruin by turning straw into gold; now if she could only stop turning forks into bunnies. Then Elric, a sorcerer, appears one Friday--annoyed with the chaos Lizzie is creating in the universe "and" in his heart. . . .

The youngest Miss Fortune, Mare, towers above her sisters but her telekinetic power is dwarfed by their gifts. She spends her days at Value Video!! and her nights contemplating the futility of her existence. But then a gorgeous Value Video!! VP "and" Mare's long lost love turn up. . .and they all turn up the heat on a weekend that no Fortune will soon forget!

My Thoughts:
I thought it was ok but honestly it would have been better as a trilogy. Where each sister had their own book with the third book being the big showdown between the sisters and their evil aunt. I would have liked to get to know the characters better. As it is the book was written as a full book with each author contributing something but it read like an anthology whereas each sister's love story was told very quickly making it feel rushed.

There were some humorous things in the book that I enjoyed a lot and one of the couples had some great banter between each other. One of the sisters is a meek woman afraid of her own shadow and within a few hours suddenly developed a backbone. It felt as if she was a completely different character than what we were introduced to. I did enjoy the pop culture sprinkled in the book which felt right with one of the sisters. That particular sister actually felt more fleshed out than the other two to me however I liked the connection between the meek sister and her love better than the other two.

Collaborations are becoming quite popular and I'm not sure it worked here. I couldn't really tell when one author ended and another one started which was good but once again I really felt this book would have been better to have each sister have their own book.


2 comments:

Lindsay Cummings author said...

hey! i follow you on GFC! love your blog! hope you will follow me =] I have a giveaway going on right now!

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/giveaway-follow-fridayblog-hop.html

Christina said...

Hey thanks Lindsay for stopping by. I popped over to your blog to explore a bit and love your current giveaway. A few months ago I read Paranormalcy and thought the premise was an excellent one. I am looking forward to reading White's next book so of course I'm entering!