Thursday, May 21, 2020

A Bad Day for Sunshine by Darynda Jones


Title: A Bad Day For Sunshine
Author: Darynda Jones
Narrator: Lorelei King
Series: #1 in the Sunshine Vicram series
Genre: Mystery
Publisher: St. Martin's Press (April 7, 2020)
Source: Library Find
Rating: ☕☕☕☕


Synopsis: Sheriff Sunshine Vicram finds her cup o’ joe more than half full when the small village of Del Sol, New Mexico, becomes the center of national attention for a kidnapper on the loose.
Del Sol, New Mexico is known for three things: its fry-an-egg-on-the-cement summers, its strong cups of coffee—and a nationwide manhunt? Del Sol native Sunshine Vicram has returned to town as the elected sheriff--an election her adorably meddlesome parents entered her in--and she expects her biggest crime wave to involve an elderly flasher named Doug. But a teenage girl is missing, a kidnapper is on the loose, and all of it's reminding Sunny why she left Del Sol in the first place. Add to that trouble at her daughter’s new school and a kidnapped prized rooster named Puff Daddy, and Sunshine has her hands full.

Enter sexy almost-old-flame Levi Ravinder and a hunky US Marshall, both elevens on a scale of one to blazing inferno, and the normally savvy sheriff is quickly in over her head. Now it’s up to Sunshine to juggle a few good hunky men, a not-so-nice kidnapping miscreant, and Doug the ever-pesky flasher. And they said coming home would be drama-free.

My Thoughts: I love Darynda Jones and her humor so much and to have another series by her makes me fan girl squeal!

The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else: This was a good start to a new mystery series by one of my favorite authors. Chock full of her trademark humor despite some serious topics. I was a little apprehensive of a new character and I'm a little on the fence of if she fully pulled it off. Please don't interpret that as me saying Sunshine was a bad character. She wasn't but she was a little too much like Charley Davidson in personality. She's a wise cracking smart ass with constant comebacks and the banter between her and pretty much everyone is very Charley. There are some major differences though #1 being this is not an Urban Fantasy. Sunshine isn't supernatural. There are no supernatural people in this book. I just wish Sunshine would have been a complete different character but I guess if you take away the humor you just wouldn't have a Darynda Jones book.

There was an interesting amount of sexual tension between Sunshine and her childhood crush Levi. There is a huge backstory between these two and I have suspicions on what's going on. I'm really looking forward to learning more and absolutely HATE I'm going to have to wait for, like, a year to read more. I need to know now!

In this book Sunshine has to find a missing teenage girl who looks an awful lot like her own daughter, Ari. I thought the investigation part was good but I'm not sure there were enough clues for us readers to figure it out. I'm not upset by this as I would never really read a Darynda Jones book for the mysterious plots. There are quite a few sub-plots peppered throughout the book as well. It didn't overwhelm the main plot at all and I enjoyed the side mysteries of the missing rooster and the missing deputy.

The audio book was narrated by Lorelei King who seems to do all of Darynda Jones' books. I like her so much but I'm up to my elbows in books all being narrated by her and the characters are blurring even though some of the series are so completely different. If I only did one series at a time this would never be a problem but I get most of my audios from the library so when I get them I listen.

In a Nutshell: I'm super excited for this new series and can't wait for the next one!

No comments: