Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory


Title: Spoonbenders
Author: Daryl Gregory (narrated by Ari Fliakos)
Series: Stand-alone
Genre: Fiction
Publisher: Random House Audio  (June 27, 2017)
Source: Library Find
Rating: ☕☕☕


Synopsis: The year is 1995.

Meet the Telemachuses: an apparently ordinary family with strikingly obvious issues. Their individual personalities are eccentric, their intergenerational relationships are strained, their collective failures are well documented, and their finances are, well, let's not even go there.
The city is Chicago.

For Grandson Matty Telemachus, this is just the way things have always been. The only person who has ever tried to convince him otherwise is his hapless Uncle Frankie, who rushes to retrieve 'that video tape' every time he consumes too much red wine at Thanksgiving.
The family is dysfunctional.

This cassette is proof that the family - Grandad Teddy, Grandma Maureen, Aunt Irene, Uncle Frankie and Uncle Buddy - were once known as The Amazing Telemachus Family, and toured the country with a magic and mind-reading act. That was, until on fateful night in 1974...
So is the magic.

Spoonbenders is the legacy and legend of an extraordinary, normal, entirely unique family across three generations of big personalities and socially inept recluses - each cursed with the potential of being something special.

My Thoughts: I read a very short review about this book and the reviewer enjoyed this book so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The Good, The Bad, and Everything Else: I made a mistake when tackling this book. I did not read the synopsis. I had no idea this book was set in 1995. I did manage to figure it out but the book also skipped back and forth in time with no indication it was happening. At least on the audio version. The results made for a little bit of a confused listen at first. I did figure it out but I thought this hindered my enjoyment rather than enhance it.

The building of the storyline was actually very interesting and the character, Buddy, although being portrayed as a secondary character was the best of the bunch. The plot was pretty cleverly woven and it built and built throughout the book to a good climax but overall it didn't wow me. Probably because the book spent so much time focusing on two characters, Teddy and Frankie, who were essentially the same person. I don't necessarily have to like the characters in a book but sometimes my dislike of specific characters can sway my enjoyment of a book anyway. In this case having  more than half the book so focused on the two characters I disliked was a big negative sway.

The narration was adequate but not great. I don't recall any voice differences between characters. This could mean they might have been there but were not great nor horrible enough for me to notice or there really wasn't any difference. At the end of the book I felt Fliakos just read the story to me rather than it being a great audio production. I would not seek out another book narrated by Ari Fliakos for the sake of the narration but wouldn't refuse to listen to another one based on this book.

In a Nutshell: An overall OK book but not one I would re-read. I also wouldn't recommend this book except for, perhaps, likeminded readers. I'm not sure if I would seek out another book by Gregory but as I do like to give an author at least 2 tries I would rule it out.

No comments: