Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Waiting On You by Kristan Higgins

Synopsis: Does being nobody's fool mean that you're nobody's love?
Colleen O'Rourke is in love with love…just not when it comes to herself. Most nights, she can be found behind the bar at the Manningsport, New York, tavern she owns with her twin brother, doling out romantic advice to the lovelorn, mixing martinis and staying more or less happily single. See, ten years ago, Lucas Campbell, her first love, broke her heart…an experience Colleen doesn't want to have again, thanks. Since then, she's been happy with a fling here and there, some elite-level flirting and playing matchmaker to her friends.
But a family emergency has brought Lucas back to town, handsome as ever and still the only man who's ever been able to crack her defenses. Seems like maybe they've got some unfinished business waiting for them—but to find out, Colleen has to let her guard down, or risk losing a second chance with the only man she's ever loved.

My Thoughts: My second book by Higgins and I'm totally a happy camper for reading it!

What Worked: It's well known that Higgins' trademark is the humor liberally peppered throughout her books and this one was no exception. I loved the banter between the characters so much. The situations within had me laughing out loud often. I was grinning like a crazy lady through most of the book! When a book can make me laugh it's a good one. When a book can make me tear up also, it's even better. This book did all of that and more.

The characters were so very real to me even though there were quite a lot of them. They were funny, attractive, petty, jealous, insecure, flawed and wonderful. I couldn't have asked for more from them. Although this was Colleen and Lucas' romance there were several different stories happening too. When a book has several different storylines happening and so many characters inserted there can be a possibility of upstaging, where the H/h might get over shadowed by the backdrop. I don't think this happened at all. I was able to keep up with all that was happening and had a good time while doing so.

Also, I should mention that this is book #3 in the Blue Huron series and the only one I've read (the other book I read by Kristan was a standalone.) This book stood up by itself nicely and although many of the characters were introduced in the previous installments, Higgins did a great job of introducing them to me for the first time in this book. I don't regret reading this one first but now want to go back and read the other 2 just to see if they were just as good. Oh and I particularly liked that Higgins chose to utilize the third person narrative with this series rather than the first person narrative she uses most of the time. I thought seeing the inner thoughts of both the hero and the heroine added a depth to the story that I think 1st person narrative sometimes misses.

What Didn't Work: At times I felt that the book had been going on too long but this truly didn't take away from my enjoyment. I was happy reading page after page after page but some readers may find the opposite. Which is why I mentioned it in the "What Didn't Work" section of my review. Other than that I couldn't find fault in this story at all.

In a Nut Shell: Ultimately what Waiting On You brings is a lovely complicated love story in the middle of a bunch of complex interwoven relationships. I loved every single minute of this book and I will go back and read the other books in the Blue Huron series without a doubt.

 Photobucket

No comments: