Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Cradle by Patrick Somerville

This is weird even for me. I swear this has Never happened to me before but there is always a first. I came across this synopsis of the book The Cradle by Patrick Somerville and found it completely fascinating. That in itself isn't what is weird by the way. I run across books all the time I find fascinating....just another day really. This is typically not my type of book. It doesn't have a half naked man on the cover. Nor does it have some hunka hunka man meat with fangs. It doesn't even have a prettily posed victorian woman who looks like she is awaiting her lover to return to her. With that said,  I honestly do read just about everything. I do! But for some reason some books you just know they aren't going to be your usual pick without even picking it up and trying it right?

So, on to the weirder part....the more I read about the book them more I kept thinking...."I would love to see this movie." Not once did I think...."I HAVE to read this book." Nope....I need to see this movie. On the upside it sounds like it would make a terrific one. Maybe, just for shits and giggles I will see if my library has it and try it out anyway. If anyone out there has it in their TBR and reads it....let me know.

Title: The Cradle: A Novel


Author: Patrick Somerville

Category: FICTION



Format: TRADE PAPERBACK

Publish Date: 4/12/2010

Price: $13.99/$16.99

ISBN: 9780316036115

Pages: 224







About the Book:



Early one summer morning, Matthew Bishop kisses his still-sleeping wife Marissa, gets dressed and eases his truck through Milwaukee, bound for the highway. His wife, pregnant with their first child, has asked him to find the antique cradle taken years before by her mother Caroline when she abandoned Marissa, never to contact her daughter again. Soon to be a mother herself, Marissa now dreams of nothing else but bringing her baby home to the cradle she herself slept in. His wife does not know-does not want to know-where her mother lives, but Matt has an address for Caroline's sister near by and with any luck, he will be home in time for dinner.



Only as Matt tries to track down his wife's mother, he discovers that Caroline, upon leaving Marissa, has led a life increasingly plagued by impulse and irrationality, a mysterious life that grows more inexplicable with each new lead Matt gains, and door he enters. As hours turn into days and Caroline's trail takes Matt from Wisconsin to Minnesota, Illinois, and beyond in search of the cradle, Matt makes a discovery that will forever change Marissa's life, and faces a decision that will challenge everything he has ever known.



Elegant and astonishing, Patrick Somerville tells the story of one man's journey into the heart of marriage, parenthood, and what it means to be a family. Confirming the arrival of an exuberantly talented new writer, THE CRADLE is an uniquely imaginative debut novel that radiates with wisdom and wonder.

No comments: